Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Of Country Music and Men, and Work...and Cross Stitch

I happen to oftentimes like covers of songs, especially covers that bridge genre gaps. But some things just should not be done in this world, and one of these things is apparently country covers of songs.


At Joann's we have our construction workers who put up the pegboard walls on which we stick our products. Some of them, the head included, I believe, like country music, so that's all they play for the better part of the night. After a good three nights I finally cracked and put on my headphones last night. Part of the reason I cracked is because I heard a country cover of Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." I could barely hear it due to my proximity to the radio, but still it was horrible. I looked it up just now and the culprit is Mark Chesnutt. Apparently his cover reached number 1 in the country charts, and was in the top 20 of the Billboard Top 100. He even had the audacity to name the album upon which the cover appears as the first track, "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing." Can I please just projectile vomit all over creation? AND THEN I read this nonsense on an Amazon review: "Track one, "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing," is a great remake of the far inferior version done by Aerosmith." In fact, most of these reviewers are saying the like it better than Aerosmith's. HERESY I SAY! First I hear Jack Ingram's stupid cover of Hinder's "Lips of an Angel," and now this. Call me a romantic, but nothing says "emotional love song" to me like screaming into a microphone. Please stop softening my power ballads!

Anyway, more about life at Joann's. The work is progressing well in my opinion, though we got the obligatory "you guys need to pick up the pace" speech last night that was bound to happen eventually. It's the construction crew's last night (which means hopefully no more country after tonight!), which means we need to hurry and clear out some areas so they can put up the last walls. But I think we're doing well. The people are awesome and I'm having fun, in spite of the hours, which really aren't even that bad. Tonight is going to be hard though, because I'm picking up an extra shift at my other job for a girl who's going on vacation, so I will be working from 9:00 pm to 5:30 am, then 6:30 am to 11:00 am, then 11:30 am to 3:00 pm. Then it's back to work at 9:00 pm. This is what next Tuesday and Thursday will be like too. Not gonna be fun...

In the crafting world, I've started another little cross stitch of a star and moon with faces on them that's in the book I got the fairy angel thinger from. It's pretty cute and much easier, though cross stitching with white thread on white aida (fabric) is not the best idea I ever had. I'm trying to focus on making sure the back is nice on this one since I didn't even bother trying with the last two, because I have yet another project I want to do. I want to cross stitch onto a kitchen towel to hang on my and Sarah's oven door the phrase: "As long as no one dies, I call it a success." This is our new philosophy on cooking that we came up with the other night. I want to stitch this in pretty flowery font, possibly pink, and maybe with flowers and little food things on it to make it extra pretty. But I want to not have an ugly back to the towel so I'm practicing now.

2 comments:

choperena said...

Ah! That makes so much more sense now. I mean, I don't mind the Hinder cover, since I kind of have issues with the song in the first place (Shhh! I don't want my gf to know I want to cheat on her with you!). But "better than Aerosmith"? Bitch, please!

DarkStar said...

I don't know much by Hinder but I've liked what I've heard, even though, yes, "Lips of an Angel" is a little sketchy, heehee. And yeah. I got kind of pissed at that comment. That song is just too good on it's own.

Post a Comment